400g McCain Crispers
1x 400g McCain Creamed Spinach
1x 400g McCain Mashed Butternut
1 whole chicken, cleaned and patted dried
1 lemon, halved
Spiced Butter Mix for chicken: mix 5 ml garlic powder, 10 ml chicken stock powder, 5 ml smoked paprika, 10 ml finely chopped fresh thyme, 2.5 ml smoked chilli flakes, 2.5ml white pepper, 5 ml fine salt, 40 ml butter and 15 ml olive oil together in a small glass bowl. Brush on before and during roasting of chicken.
Honey Mustard Sauce: heat 30 ml olive oil, sauté 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and 1 finely chopped small onion until soft and translucent. Add in the 20 ml chicken stock in 250ml water, 15ml Dijon mustard and 10 ml whole grain mustard, 20 ml honey and 125 ml cream. Allow to simmer until thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside to serve.
Toasted Nuts: for extra crunch toast nuts of choice in a pan for 2-3 minutes, chop and serve sprinkled over McCain Creamed Spinach.
Spiced Chickpeas: drain and rinse 1x 410g canned chickpeas, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, toss with 5 ml smoked paprika and 15 ml olive oil. Sauté lightly in non-stick frying pan until slightly toasted. Serve with McCain Butternut.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes/kg chicken + 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Using a kitchen basting brush, brush the chicken with the spiced butter mix. Place on a lined roasting tray. Place the halved lemons into the cavity.
- Roast for guided time below, or until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced. Brush the spiced butter mix on throughout cooking.
- For the spinach and butternut: heat the McCain Creamed Spinach and McCain Mashed Butternut as per pack instructions. Season and keep warm.
- Prepare McCain Crispers according to instructions on pack deep fry, air-fry, or oven bake.
- Serve the roast chicken with honey mustard sauce, McCain Creamed Spinach and McCain Crispers along with the McCain Butternut and spiced chickpeas (if using).
#RoastChicken #PotatoCrispers #madewithmccain #McCainSpinach #McCainMashedButternut #FrozenAtItsFreshest
Variations, Hints and Tips
Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking, to allow it to come to room temperature.
Chicken roasting guide: 45 minutes per kg, and extra 20 minutes to finish.
Baste the chicken once or twice through cooking, with the pan juices.
Alternatively roast a leg of lamb for a special occasion.