1 kg McCain Butternut Chunks (defrosted)
30 ml cooking oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 cm piece ginger (finely chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
2 ml ground cinnamon
750 ml vegetable stock
60 ml cream
Note for above
300 g potatoes (washed)
150 g McCain Chopped Spinach (defrosted)
30 ml cake flour
30 ml semolina
30 ml dried bread crumbs
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 ml ground nutmeg
125 ml vegetable stock
20 g butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to season)
60 g pistachio nuts (chopped for serving)
- For the soup: Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the McCain Butternut Chunks onto a roasting tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the garlic and onion over a medium heat until soft and aromatic.
- Add the roasted McCain Butternut Chunks as well as the stock and cinnamon, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use a stick blender and pulse until velvety smooth, keep over a low heat. Stir in cream before serving.
- For the dumplings: Preheat oven to 200°C
- Place the potatoes in roasting tray bake for 45 minutes, until soft.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Scoop the flesh out of the potatoes into a large bowl with a spoon before mashing with a fork. Now add the flour, semolina, breadcrumbs and egg and mix well before adding the McCain Chopped Spinach and nutmeg.
- Stir to combine, roll into 12x 30ml dumplings, place them on a tray with flour.
- Heat a large frying pan with the vegetable stock and butter, allow to simmer before adding dumplings. Cover with aluminium foil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve with butternut soup, garnished with pistachio nuts.
Variations, Hints and Tips
- Once soup is blended, stir through 250 g McCain Cut Corn and a cooked, shredded chicken breast for added protein.
- Fry the garlic and onions with 15 ml of mild curry powder when making the soup for a mild aromatic soup.
- Add the zest and juice of half an orange just before serving for a citrus note.