50 g butter
1 clove garlic (chopped)
90 g cake flour (plus extra for dusting)
1 x 330 ml bottles local lager
300 ml vegetable stock
2 ml ground nutmeg
150 g mature Cheddar cheese (grated)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1 onion (thinly sliced)
10 ml sugar
40 ml water
800 g McCain 12 mm Chips
250 g moist sliced biltong
- In a medium sized saucepan, over a medium heat, melt the butter, then add the garlic and flour and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Add beer and whisk until smooth, then add the stock and allow the sauce to thicken. Now stir in cheese and nutmeg. Keep warm or reheat to serve.
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 180°C.
- In a saucepan, fry onions with sugar, water and seasoning until softened and golden.
- Deep fry the McCain 12 mm Chips until golden and crispy then drain on paper towel.
- Plate McCain 12 mm Chips and top with beer and cheese sauce, sliced biltong and caramelized onions. Serve immediately.
Variations, Hints and Tips
- Replace the biltong with charred McCain Cut Corn for a meat free alternative.
- Replace the Cheddar with Emmental cheese.
- Replace the beer with milk and the Cheddar with blue cheese for a strong flavoured sauce to compliment, biltong and onion.