1.2 kg chicken, deboned (ask your butcher to do this for you)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season chicken
125 g pork sausages, pressed out casings
80 ml (30 g) fresh bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
2 garlic cloves, chopped
60 ml (30 g) McCain Diced Onion
60 ml (45 g) McCain Sweet Potato Chunks, defrosted and roughly mashed
60 ml 45 g) McCain Carrots Julienne, defrosted and roughly mashed
20 ml chutney
1 ml ground cinnamon
Pinch, ground clove
Pinch, ground nutmeg
5 ml mild curry powder
2 ml salt
2 ml freshly ground black pepper
1 ml chilli flakes
2 ml dried thyme or dried mixed herbs
60 ml McCain Diced Onion
30 ml salted butter
15 ml cake flour
250 ml chicken stock
1 bay leaf
60 ml oil
500 g McCain Classic Roast Vegetables
500g McCain wedges, to serve
- On a chopping board lay out your deboned chicken skin side down, season inside of the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the stuffing ingredients until well combined.
- Form the stuffing into an oval shape in the middle of the chicken, fold over the skin neatly and secure the seam with toothpicks.
- Tie the legs together with string to secure in position while roasting.
- Roll the chicken in plastic wrap, tighten and tie the loose ends with bag ties, place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm, preheat oven to 160°
- Drizzle oil on the bottom of a roasting pan, remove the plastic wrap from the chicken and place onto roasting pan.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to ensure a crispy skin. Roast the chicken for 60 minutes.
- Toss the McCain Classic Roast Vegetables and McCain Wedges with oil, place on a lined baking tray roast for 20-25 minutes.
- For the gravy; heat a medium saucepan, add butter and fry onions until translucent.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once the vegetables are cooked and golden, remove the chicken and add the pan juices to the gravy.
- Remove the string and serve the chicken with roast vegetables and wedges.