300g McCain Diced Beetroot
½ cup water
200g"good-quality dark chocolate (70% minimum)
165ml sunflower oil
3 free-range eggs, separated
200g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
100g almond flour
2 tbsps cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM ICING
80g good-quality dark chocolate (70% minimum)
125g icing sugar
40g cocoa powder
1 tbs very strong coffee (or espresso)
½ tsp vanilla extract
powdered beetroot (optional)
Prep Time: 20 - 25min
Cooking Time: 1h 20min
- Place the frozen McCain Diced Beetroot in a microwaveable container with the water and microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Heat the chocolate in a double boiler then leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Blend the beetroot and oil in a food processor until smooth.
- (It’s fine if there are still a few very small chunks.)
- Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Remove from the bowl and set aside.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, beetroot and oil mixture, vanilla,
- salt, melted chocolate and almond flour to the same bowl. Mix for about a minute, until well-combined.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together, then add the dry ingredients to the wet batter. Mix briefly until incorporated.
- Gently fold through the whisked egg whites.
- Grease a Bundt tin with non-stick spray. Decant the batter into the baking tin and bake for 70–80 minutes, or until a sharp knife comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- If necessary, loosely cover with tin foil to prevent from over-browning.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- Make the buttercream icing by melting the chocolate in a double boiler and then allowing to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the melted chocolate together with the other ingredients for a few minutes until fluffy.
- Ice the cake and decorate with chocolate shavings and a dusting of powdered beetroot.
TIP. You could also make a layered cake by dividing the batter between two lined 18cm cake tins (adjust the baking time down accordingly), or a loaf cake by using a 23cm x 13cm x 8cm loaf tin (approximately 1.5 litre capacity)
Click here and see how to make more of our delicious "madewithmccain" recipes in our YouTube Playlist
LOVE THIS RECIPE & WANT TO KEEP IT?
WHY NOT CREATE YOUR OWN FAMILY COOKBOOK?
Click on the link to visit our COOKBOOK CREATOR TOOL.