½ cup sugar
2 tbsp water
½ cup pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp salt and pepper
4 pita breads
ready-made tomato sauce (or homemade tomato sauce see notes below)
mozzarella cheese, grated
1 round of feta cheese, crumbled fresh chilli, chopped (optional)
fresh beetroot leaves (or rocket) — to garnish
Prep Time: 10 -15 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
- For the roasted beetroot:
- Toss the frozen McCain Diced Beetroot in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast at 200°C for 15 minutes, or until cooked.
- For the caramel:
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the pumpkin seeds on the baking paper and set aside. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil.
- Boil, without stirring, for 5–7 minutes, or until the mixture turns golden.
- Remove from the heat, pour the sugar onto the pumpkin seeds and allow to cool.
- Once set, break into small shards.
- To assemble the pita pizzas: Place a pita bread on a baking tray, top with ready-made tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, roasted McCain Diced Beetroot, feta and pumpkin-seed caramel shards.
- Bake at 180°C for 5–7 minutes (or until the mozzarella and caramel shards have melted). Garnish with fresh beetroot leaves, rocket or fresh chilli and enjoy.
LOVE THIS RECIPE & WANT TO KEEP IT?
WHY NOT CREATE YOUR OWN FAMILY COOKBOOK?
Click on the link to visit our COOKBOOK CREATOR TOOL.
Variations, Hints and Tips
Watch the video on how to make this delicious recipe on our YouTube