350 g McCain Mediterranean Roast Vegetables
15 ml oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 rolls shop bought puff pastry, defrosted in the refrigerator
200 ml (100 g) Diced Onion
80 ml chutney
250 ml (100 g) Cheddar cheese, grated, divided into 2
1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Start your Braai and allow the coals to reach a medium heat. Preheat oven 180°
- Place the McCain Roast Vegetables in a roasting dish, drizzle with oil then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, for 15 minutes.
- Grease a double-sided grid or a baking tray if cooking in the oven with non-stick cooking spray, unroll 1 sheet of pastry over the grid or tray, top with half the grated cheese followed by the roasted Mediterranean vegetables leaving a 1 cm border around the pie.
- Spread the diced onion over the vegetables, top this with dollops of chutney and the grated cheese.
- Using a pastry brush; brush the sides of the pie with beaten egg to ensure it will seal.
- Roll the second puff pastry roll over the filling; crimp the sides together with your fingers to seal the edge.
- Brush the entire pie with egg wash before closing the grill or placing in preheated oven.
- Cook over medium coals turning very often until golden brown (25-30 minutes) or 25-30 minutes in the oven
- Once the pie is cooked, remove from the grill or oven carefully.
Variations, Hints and Tips
- Do not defrost the pastry in the microwave as the pastry becomes soggy.
- Spread the toppings evenly; pressing them down slightly to ensure the grill closes correctly.
- Spread 100 g biltong powder over the cheese.
- Serve with braaied Boerewors.