2 Cups McCain Country Crop
1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
½ Teaspoon Coriander powder
½ Teaspoon Ground Ginger, or finely grated fresh ginger
½ Teaspoon Paprika
1 Pinch Chilli Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic
¼ Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Sugar
½ Teaspoon Turmeric
80ml White Vinegar
500g Minced Beef
1 Onion, grated
150g Oats or Breadcrumbs
1 Teaspoon Pepper
½ Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Dried Mixed Herbs
1 Can Tomato & Onion mix
5ml Tomato Paste
1 Teaspoon Dried Basil or Oreganum
80ml Worcestershire Sauce
4 Cups Pre-cooked Penne Pasta
Prep Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- For the meatballs, mix the minced beef, grated onion, oats/breadcrumbs, egg, pepper, salt and dried herbs well until fully incorporated.
- Rest the mince for 20 to 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Shape into golfball-sized pieces and fry in a large frying pan until golden brown on all sides.
- It does not have to be cooked through at this stage.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and add the tomato & onion mix, tomato paste, dried basil/organum and Worcestershire Sauce and cook over a low heat until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Adjust seasoning and return the meatballs to the sauce and continue cooking until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- For the vegetables, bring 150ml oil up to a high heat in a large frying pan.
- Add the dried spices and fry for 30 second to a minute until fragrant.
- Add the frozen Country Veg and ensure that all the vegetables are covered in the spice mixture.
- Add the vinegar and cook uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender and fragrant.
- Season to taste.
- Portion the pre-cooked pasta into individual serving dishes. Top with the fried Country Vegetables and finish off with the meatballs in tomato sauce.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread or salad.