800 grams lamb cubed
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions thinly sliced
2 tablespoons garlic and ginger paste
1 small cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 teaspoons chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoons tomato paste
½ cup of water
½ cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon garam masala
Prep Time: 5 -10 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 - 120 minutes
- Heat pot on medium heat and add onions and cinnamon sticks and cloves
- Allow the onions to get golden before adding the garlic and ginger paste
- Add the all the spices except for the garam masala
- Don’t let the spices burn- add a dash of water if needed- mix the spices well with the onions and garlic and ginger paste
- Add the tomato paste and the ½ cup of water, allow to simmer for a couple of minutes before adding in the cubed lamb
- Mix the lamb well with the spices and tomato paste and simmer on medium/low heat for 30- 45 minutes, keeping checking regularly and stir
- If the water dries, add a little water at a time - when cooking at a low heat, there will be no need to add additional water at this stage
- After 45 minutes – slowly add the yogurt – a tablespoon at a time
- Mix well and add the McCain diced potatoes and allow to cook until potatoes are soft- again keep checking regularly
- Once potatoes are done, sprinkle with garam masala and chopped coriander
- Serve with naan, roti or basmati rice.
Recipe & Photo Credit: @Apriena (on Instagram)
LOVE THIS RECIPE & WANT TO KEEP IT?
WHY NOT CREATE YOUR OWN FAMILY COOKBOOK?
Click on the link to visit our COOKBOOK CREATOR TOOL.