1 bag of McCain Slap Chips
Oil, for deep-frying
FOR THE FRIED FISH:
½ cup flour
½ cup cornflour
1 – 1½ cups soda water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 kg white fish fillets
FOR THE MINTY PEA MAYO:
1½ cups McCain Garden Peas, cooked and cooled
1-2 tbsp water
fresh mint leaves, to taste zest of one lemon
½ cup mayonnaise (or Greek yoghurt)
¼ tsp salt
black pepper, to taste
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
For the minty pea mayo:
- Blitz the cooked McCain Garden Peas, water, mint, lemon zest and mayo together.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To prep the batter: Combine the flours with salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Transfer half to a shallow dish suitable for coating the fish.
- Whisk the soda water into the flour in the mixing bowl until smooth.
- Coat the fish in the dry flour mixture then set aside.
- To fry the slap chips: Add oil to a deep pan suitable for deep-frying and heat to 145°C.
- Add the McCain Slap Chips to the oil and fry for 5–5½ minutes, until light golden in colour.
- Place the fried chips in a serving dish and cover with lid.
- Season with salt and allow to steam for 2 minutes.
- To fry the fish: Coat each fillet of fish in the batter then carefully lower the fish into the hot oil (about 180°C), one to two pieces at a time, and allow to fry for 7–10 minutes, or until the fish is golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil, drain on kitchen paper, then serve with the McCain Slap Chips, the minty pea mayo, a fresh lemon wedge and a crispy herb salad.
Variations, Hints and Tips
Watch the video on how to make this delicious recipe on our YouTube