Oil, for deep-frying
FOR THE FRIED FISH:
½ cup flour
½ cup cornflour
1 – 1½ cups soda water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 kg white fish fillets
FOR THE MINTY PEA MAYO:
1-2 tbsp water
fresh mint leaves, to taste zest of one lemon
½ cup mayonnaise (or Greek yoghurt)
¼ tsp salt
black pepper, to taste
Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
For the minty pea mayo:
- Blitz the cooked McCain Garden Peas, water, mint, lemon zest and mayo together.
- Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To prep the batter: Combine the flours with salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Transfer half to a shallow dish suitable for coating the fish.
- Whisk the soda water into the flour in the mixing bowl until smooth.
- Coat the fish in the dry flour mixture then set aside.
- To fry the slap chips: Add oil to a deep pan suitable for deep-frying and heat to 145°C.
- Add the McCain Slap Chips to the oil and fry for 5–5½ minutes, until light golden in colour.
- Place the fried chips in a serving dish and cover with lid.
- Season with salt and allow to steam for 2 minutes.
- To fry the fish: Coat each fillet of fish in the batter then carefully lower the fish into the hot oil (about 180°C), one to two pieces at a time, and allow to fry for 7–10 minutes, or until the fish is golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oil, drain on kitchen paper, then serve with the McCain Slap Chips, the minty pea mayo, a fresh lemon wedge and a crispy herb salad.
LOVE THIS RECIPE & WANT TO KEEP IT?
WHY NOT CREATE YOUR OWN FAMILY COOKBOOK?
Click on the link to visit our COOKBOOK CREATOR TOOL.
Variations, Hints and Tips
Watch the video on how to make this delicious recipe on our YouTube