2 Cups McCain Country Crop
2 Cups McCain Sweet Potatoes
1 Cup McCain Diced Carrots
1kg Beef Cubes, Excess Fat Trimmed
2 cups Chicken Stock
5 Cloves Garlic, Sliced • 60g Butter
2 Onions, Roughly Chopped
2 Heaped Tablespoons Stock Powder dissolved in 1 Litre Hot Water
10g Tomato paste
2 White Onion, Roughly Chopped
200g Button Mushrooms, Quartered
2 Anchovy Fillets
Mashed Dumpling Ingredients
1 Cup McCain Butternut Mash
½ Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
½ Teaspoon Garlic Flakes or 1 Clove Garlic, Finely Crushed
100ml Cake Flour
5ml Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Sugar
½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
75ml Melted Butter
Prep Time: 25 - 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 180 minutes
- Marinade the meat in the red wine and garlic for 2 to 3 hours.
- Heat half the butter in a heavy frying pan. Add chopped onion and cook over a low heat until golden brown.
- Strain the meat from the wine marinade and keep both aside.
- Add meat to the onions and carrots and slightly brown.
- Stir through flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add stock marinade to the pan and simmer over a medium heat to reduce by one third.
- Add water, tomato paste and seasoning.
- Cover and cook for at least 2 to 3 hours on a low heat until the meat is slightly tender.
- Add the mushrooms and McCain Vegetables and McCain Diced Carrots.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes without a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Add mashed anchovies and stir through.
- For the dumplings mix the cornflour, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, garlic, rosemary and black pepper.
- In separate bowl, add milk, eggs, butternut and melted butter.
- Whisk until smooth. Using spatula, fold wet mixture into dry until incorporated.
- Gently drop spoons of the wet dumpling mix on to the stew. Cover with a lid and steam for 10 to 15 minutes until cooked through and tender.