For the Rice:
2 cups of basmati rice
4 cups of boiling hot water
1 teaspoon of salt
For the Vegetables:
1 ½ cups of McCain Peas, Carrots and Sweet Corn Mix
6 tablespoons of olive and garlic oil
1 red onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 green pepper chopped into cubes (you can mix the colours for variety)
1 cup of hot water
2 teaspoons of rice spice
2 teaspoons of coriander spice
2 teaspoons of paprika
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons of dried basil
Handful of chives and spring onion chopped
Fresh parsley for garnish
Prep Time: 10 -15 min
Cooking Time: 20 - 25 min
Serves: 4 - 6
For the Rice:
1. Add 2 cups of rice to a wok and add the water and salt. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Once the rice is done, pour it into a strainer and leave it aside.
For the Vegetable Stir Fry:
1. Make sure the wok is dry before adding the oil.
2. Heat the oil in the wok on medium high heat and add the onions. Braise until golden brown.
3. Add the garlic and fry for about a minute or until fragrant (make sure you don't burn it).
4. Add the green peppers and a little more oil and fry the green peppers until soft.
5. Add a tablespoon of water at a time if it gets too dry. Add the rice spice, coriander spice, paprika, salt, black pepper and basil to the wok. Create a paste by adding 1 tablespoon of water.
6. Add the frozen peas, carrots and corn. Add about ¼ cup of water. Cook until the carrots are soft. Make sure you keep stirring to prevent the vegetables from burning. Only add 1 tablespoon of water at a time if it's too dry.
7. Once the carrots are soft reduce the heat to low setting and add the basmati rice. Mix it all up.
8. Switch the stove off once the rice and vegetables have been thoroughly mixed.
9. Add the chopped chives and spring onion and mix. Garnish with parsley if you want and serve.
Recipe & Photo Credit: @sugary_baked_goodness