15 ml olive or vegetable oil, with extra for brushing patties
80 g McCain Diced Onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
80 g McCain Diced Carrots, chopped
1x20 cm celery stick, thinly sliced
150 g McCain Spinach, defrosted and drained
15 ml dried mixed herbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
190 (150 g) brown rice, cooked and cooled
45 g oats
40 g peanuts, chopped
40 g sultanas
15 ml fresh lemon juice
5 ml soy sauce
5 ml ground flaxseed
Brussels Sprout Slaw
30 ml olive or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
50 g McCain Brussels Sprouts, shredded
30 ml lemon juice
½ red onion, finely sliced
Salt and freshly black pepper, to taste
30 ml wholegrain mustard
30 ml vegan mayonnaise
4 large soft rolls
Servings4 - 6
- For the patties; heat a large saucepan over a medium heat, add olive oil and fry the McCain Diced Onion, garlic, carrots, celery, spinach and mixed herbs with seasoning for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to a large bowl with remaining patty ingredients, incorporate well; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 180°C, line a baking tray with baking paper, set aside.
- Divide the patty mixture into 4 and press each patty to about 1.5cm thick.
- Place the patties onto your prepared baking tray and brush with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- For the Brussels Sprout slaw: heat a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, and Brussels Sprouts and red onion with seasoning fry for 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Assemble the burger: toast the rolls, spread mustard on the base of each roll, top with the patty and slaw and vegan mayonnaise, close the burgers and serve.
Variations, Hints and Tips
- Fry 100 g thinly sliced brown mushrooms and add to the patty mix for an earthly flavour.
- Make more patty mixture for freezing, this mixture can be shaped into patties for burgers or as meatballs to serve for a snack; cook in a moderate oven from frozen.
- As an alternative keep the Brussels Sprouts slaw raw and allow to marinade in the fridge for 45 minutes before serving.