750 ml warm water
2 ml fine salt
15 ml salted butter, with extra for greasing
250 ml (185 g) maize meal
250 ml (145 g) McCain Sweet Corn, with extra for topping
15 ml olive oil
60 ml (30 g) Diced Onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 x 250 ml (200 g) McCain Spinach
15 ml chives, chopped
250 ml (180 g) sliced biltong, divided; half chopped (optional)
125 ml (50 g) feta, crumbled
50 ml sweet chilli sauce
125 ml (50 g) Cheddar cheese, grated
Chives, finely chopped, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, lightly grease a 15cm x 20cm ovenproof dish with butter.
- For the pap; bring the water to the boil in a saucepan. Stir in the butter and then whisk in the pap. Turn the heat down to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally to get rid of any lumps.
- Stir through the 250 ml McCain Sweet Corn and cook for a further 5 minutes, set aside.
- For the filling; heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the diced Onion and garlic for 5 minutes until tender add the McCain Spinach and fry for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the chives and lightly season the mixture.
- To assemble, place half of the pap at the bottom of the prepared oven dish. Add the spinach filling on top. Add the layer of chopped biltong (optional) and then the crumbled feta.
- Spoon the remaining pap, neaten the edges so that all of the filling is covered.
- Spread with the sweet chilli sauce over the pap and top with cheese and corn. Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve.
Variations, Hints and Tips
- Make the Paptert the day before and leave in the refrigerator.
- Did you know McCain Spinach contains iron which is necessary for healthy blood cells- Maize meal is fortified with vitamin B and is high in energy.
- When spreading the pap; wrap a dessert spoon in plastic wrap to prevent the pap from sticking to the spoon.