Potjie Pot size 3
1 kg beef short rib, cut into portions
15 ml cooking oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
50 g McCain Diced Onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 410 g can chopped tomatoes
3 x 250 ml (350 g) McCain Country Crop Vegetables
15 ml Worcestershire sauce
15 ml dried mixed herbs
2 dried bay leaves
30 ml corn flour
250 ml beef stock
15 ml apricot jam
- Heat Potjie pot over hot coals, in a large mixing bowl; add the beef short rib, olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper then toss together to coat.
- Brown the beef in batches; remove the beef from the pot and add the McCain Diced Onions and garlic, fry for 5 minutes until golden then add the beef back to the pot; stir together with the onions, add chopped tomatoes.
- In a measuring jug; mix together the Worcestershire sauce, mixed herbs, bay leaves, corn flour, beef stock and apricot jam.
- Keep the Potjie over a low heat, cover with a lid and cook for 2 and a half hours until the meat is tender, stir through the McCain Country Crop vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes until tender; before serving.
- Serve with McCain Savoury Rice.
Variations, Hints and Tips:
- Replace the beef stock with beer of your choice.
- Add 100 g chopped streaky bacon when frying the onions for a smoky flavour.
- When making a Potjie; keep the layers and try not to stir too much as traditionally this makes a potjie unique.
- Did you know as Potjie pots heat up they release flavour into the food and leftovers are often tastier the following day.